Sunday, October 9, 2011

One Week Down

I am sitting here on the night of the seventh day dieting and posting as I hold my HCG drops under my tongue to allow them to absorb.

Last night was a bit tough. I suffer from both RA and restless leg syndrome and take a pain pill at night to be able to sleep through the night. Last night I attempted to go to bed without one and fell asleep- but then woke up about 2 am and just could not get back to sleep. My back was spasming and my knees were driving me crazy. I also felt very dehydrated and clammy. I truly could not choke down my protein yesterday= so all I had eaten was my apples and tomatoes. So finally about 2:30 am I got up, ate a tomato, poured some ice tea and took a pain pill. All was well for the rest of the night.

This morning the thought of eating any meat was still unappetizing- so I skipped my protein source again. The day was filled with our first good rain in months so Kaity and I worked around the house. We pulled out all of the costume bins and sorted each piece, placing them where they should be and then labeling the bins. During that time I again felt washy, so I ate another tomato and drank more ice tea.

Tonight I made fish for dinner and ate everything that I am supposed to prior to taking my HCG and I can definitely feel a difference eating the amount that I am instructed to. But I honestly just could not choke down any chicken or fish yesterday or this morning.

So tomorrow I work my double shift- Monday at the law office and Tuesday night at the vet clinic. I will be able to weigh myself and I can see what a week on this diet has done. I have to say- I do not know if it is just my imagination- but I honestly feel a bit lighter.

I stare at my clothes and visualize what it will feel like when they fit well. I have a pair of dressage breeches hanging in my bedroom that I look at. I have not worn them in 15 years. But by this time next year I plan to not only be wearing them- but wearing them in the dressage ring on one of my young horses standing in the back yard.

I also look forward to going and judging in Oregon next May. The people there are some of my dearest friends and I know how happy they will be for me when they see that I have finally overcome this terrible problem I have had in eating well and being a healthy weight.

So I usually tell a little story in my blogs to say a bit about my life- so here goes. Tonight it is the story of Jakey at the Pet Fair.

I adopted Jakey from Dogs for the Deaf in 2000. I was training at Petsmart at the time and was looking for an agility dog to learn the sport with. Jakey was a wash out from the hearing dog program. He had been training well but had developed an abnormal fear of being in town and going through doors into shopping areas. He had gone through a couple of foster homes because Jakey was quite active and not a very friendly dog. I agreed to foster him, but after less than an hour I told them to just file the adoption paperwork because he had found his forever home with me.

I had Jakey for probably about a month or two and I was using him as a demo dog at work and had started him in beginner agility. Dogs for the Deaf and our local Humane Society were sponsoring a huge Pet Fair and Jakey and I were there doing demonstrations.

In the afternoon they were having games for the general public and their dogs. Kaity was about 7 years old at the time and she wanted to go play the games. She and Jakey and I headed out to the arena where they were being held. The first two went very well. Kaity and Jakey finished 2nd in fastest sit and they had won the musical mat game. The final game was 'fastest recall'.

Now mind you- when I tell you what the rules were for this game, ALL of my dogs friends will shudder in horror at just how bad a game like this could go. Looking back I realize now that when I heard the rules I should have run as far and as fast away from that arena as we could get.

The idea of the game was that ALL of the dogs would line up across the arena at one end together side by side. You could have a handler hold them if you wanted. Each owner would go to the other end of the arena and line up side by side directly across from your dog. It was probably about 100 feet between handlers and dogs. At the signal everyone was supposed to call their dogs at the same time and whatever dogs made it to the other end first would be the winner. Sound easy to the lay person? Perhaps- but a recipe for horrific disaster according to dog people.

So all of the dogs lined up. I left Jake on the start line (he has always had the very best stay of any dogs i have ever had) and walked to the far end of the ring. Just before the announcer said 'go' a balloon broke and many of the dogs took off running. But Jakey held his stay perfectly= his bright eyes focused directly on me from the other end of the ring.

I was so proud of him. Even the announcer commented on the 'brilliant little sheltie' at the end of the ring while people took dogs back and lined them up.

As soon as they were all lined up, the announcer called for the 'go'- and I dropped my arm and watched as Jake took off like a rocket straight towards me. I could actually feel tears welling up as I realized that I had the best dog in the world.

But then, as he was about half way down the ring I saw his focus shift slightly. I looked down the line of people calling their dogs and I could see a little girl about ten years old running in a circle waving her arms and cheering on her dog. Jake saw her too. And apparently he is of the very strong belief that 'children should be seen and not heard' and he set about to remedy that problem.

Like a heat seeking missile he focused in on his new target. I realized what was about to happen and set off towards the little girl to intercept my flying dog. When he was about 20 feet from her, the little girl spotted the sheltie heading towards her and took off running and screaming. Jakey realized that he had managed to get his prey moving and he set about attempting to herd her to a place that only he knew.

People were tryng to get the little girl to stop screaming, running and waving her arms, myself, along with several trainers from Dogs for The Deaf were attempting to catch Jakey (who was locked on target and not about to give up) and the announcer just kept yelling for people to catch their own dogs and not to add to the chase. Finally after about a minute or so I managed to tackle Jakey and after looking around at the trainers who were there we all very sheepishly retired out of the ring.

So that was the end of Jakey's games that day. To this day- even after all of his piles of agility and freestyle titles- I know he would do the same thing. He is 14 years old now, and his eyesight and hearing has begin the inevitable deterioration process. But he still feels that there is nothing more satisfying than training children to be quiet and well behaved.

Laura
7 days down- no idea what I weigh

No comments:

Post a Comment